[hist-analytic] "Moore's my man"

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Wed Jan 28 15:44:18 EST 2009

Lancaster's View on Analyticity

In a message dated 1/28/2009 12:48:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rbj at rbjones.com writes:

Quine in  dismissing the
analytic/synthetic distinction, and so I can't see much  point in our
debating
my allegation (which was not that attributions of  analyticity are synthetic
but rather that they are not all  analytic).

-----

What this reminds me, too, is a reference I once came across in G. R.
Sampson's book on semantics (not that I loved the book, but found it in _the_  only
philosophical bookshop in a city I was staying, and bought it!). Sampson  --he
was teaching in Lancaster then, I believe) refers to a Master's thesis on
'analyticity'. Elsewhere I have repeated his excellent examples. I believe there
 were six of them, along the lines:

Spring follows Winter.

----

I have used those examples in some of my classes (at the Swimming-Pool
Library) to some jocular results. Sampson cites from the author of the
dissertation. Apparently, he or she conducted the research very carefully, with
observational constraints, etc. I forget what conclusions they reached.

But it may relate to R. B. Jones's and D. Frederick's ideas of grasping  "the
analytic".

It's not just

"What is analytic to me may not be analytic to you" (or 'Tit for Tat', as I
prefer)

but that, as rational beings, we are still able to conceptualise:

"This _is_ analytic-to-you, I see it; at least today".

There is this idea, that 'analytic' means 'dissolvent'. The recently
inaugurated president of the U. S. A., in a sentence meaning to be provocative,  I
hope, during his inauguration speech, said, x, to the effect:

   "You shall be accountable for what you construct, not for what  you
destruct."

I shuddered to think! I mean, there we are, analytics -- or analytic
philosophers -- _always_ dissolving pseudo-problems into Moorean trifles. Not in
vain Austin was heard (by Grice) to say,

"Some like Witters, but _Moore_'s my man"

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)