[hist-analytic] Quine's "two dogmas"

steve bayne baynesrb at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 31 13:11:08 EST 2009

I heard him say he rejected the distinction. This was in 1999!

We are, I believe, experiencing a crisis in philosophy, relying on
"ponies" rather than thoroughbreds. A student ought not
pony his way through Quine. Read Quine; then, re-read
Quine. Then when you are finished with that read Quine again.

Every time I read "Two Dogmas" I get something new out of
it. That is what makes it a classic. Same way with Sellars's
"Empiricism and the Philosophy of Mind." Read and re-read.
Is there a senior philosopher (and there are many lurking
about) on this list who would deny this? Then, after all this,
pick through the mistakes of the majority of commentators.

I want to apologize to people for not sending a copy to
their email addresses. I used to do this but once I
didn't notice that it was not on list; very embarrassing.