[hist-analytic] Davidson's 'Under a description' Trick

steve bayne baynesrb at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 31 15:09:33 EST 2009

A description of moving the laces is 'moving the laces', but how do
we describe the  movement of the hands that move the laces without
describing the laces? We can describe killing Polonius using an
alternative description; there is no alternative even to "moving the laces
in such and such a way." In addition: and what way is "such a way"?
How do I describe moving my limbs when I am NOT doing anything
with them; and, yet, I can do so intentionally. So where, in such a
case, is the description under which the action is intentional and
how might it distinguish the same actions when they are not? That is
Davidson's problem in that case.