[hist-analytic] Bootstrap

steve bayne baynesrb at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 31 16:39:37 EST 2009

I am so far behind, I hope you don't confuse the brevity
of my reply etc. as impertinence. I address your points in
order.

1. Compare James on how a child learns to move its hands
with Skinner. The connection is, in my opinion, amazing.
Ideo-motor behavior requires memory of ideas acquired from
what is, essentially, Skinner's operant behavior. I stopped
reading about babies after a few hours with Alexander Shand.
Something about the arm wavings of babies...I left.

2. Bellini may not have written for the voice, but it seems
to me that most "classical" is written with the voice only
slightly in the background. I can think with any kind of
music on except where there is a voice. The voice is THE
musical instrument in some way.

3. Yeah, I meant 'trick' in a bad way. Anscombe does the
same thing and she, along with Kenny are full of tricks.
I used to play chess with a brilliant Czech player, whom
I NEVER beat. He would ask after my move "No trrricks??"
He say every one of them.

4. As for the topic of teeth and hair: both escape me!

By the way, it may interest you to know that I once
had a ms on Grice; ran about two hundred pages, working
through every detail I could as Grice refined his
meaning of 'meaning'. I had no security software. Someone
got in. Stole it and locked me out of my computer. Since
then I have become more aware of security, such being my
many Internet fiends.

Best wishes

Steve