[hist-analytic] Quine's Holism

Roger Bishop Jones rbj at rbjones.com
Fri Feb 6 10:07:17 EST 2009

I am aware of no example of a proposition of mathematics which
has been proven and subsequently held to be false as a result
of some empirical observation (without a flaw being discovered
in the proof).

In fact I would find such a thing quite astonishing, and I
would guess that an extremely high proportion of professional
mathematicans would be of like mind.

Did Quine (or anyone else) offer any examples?

In default of such examples Quine's Holism seems to me untenable,
and to have no relevance to the analytic/synthetic
distinction.