[hist-analytic] Mathematics and Lakatos's Research Programme Degeneracy

mdoctorow at ca.rr.com mdoctorow at ca.rr.com
Sat Feb 7 12:45:02 EST 2009

Yes, I think it is all a matter of what Conformity dictates as the dominant Agenda in mathematics and in physics for example.  These are largely "fads", and remarkably short-sighted.  My comments about yo-yo "evolution" apply just as much to mathematics and science as to politics.  In Quantum Theory in physics, for example, a particular university gets obsessed with one approach (Loop Quantum Gravity, for example, especially in Canada and parts of the U.K.), and the tendency is for everything else to be either ignored or down-played.   In another particular university, for example in much of the USA, there is an obsession with an alternative approach (M-theory or Superstring Theory "Quantum Gravity" or Unification theory, for example) and everything else tends to be ignored or down-played.

In mathematics, some of the fads or "yo-yo trends" are far worse than in physics.  In mathematical probability-statistics, for example, whether you prefer to divide or to subtract numbers will literally respectively separate you into almost physically fighting schools (conditional probability versus my school of Probable Causation/Influence (PI)).  The former school is so powerful that they tend to utterly refuse to publish anything by the latter school, and they have remarkable influence in Artificial Intelligence (AI) and engineering and computers far beyond their merits or Wisdom.

Osher Doctorow