[hist-analytic] "He is a _post_-analytic"

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Sat Feb 7 13:41:30 EST 2009

-- he said, in French, using 'post-analytic'  substantively.

Are post-analytic philosophers said to be so with a  straight face?
Does it mean ... -- er, what?
I once was so unamused by  post-Griceans versus neo-Griceans that I coined
the term, 'paleo-Gricean', well,  to extend the relevant polemic to, hey, Grice
hissself [sic]

In a message  dated 2/7/2009 1:22:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
mdoctorow at ca.rr.com writes in  "Re: Mathematics and Lakatos's Research Programme
Degeneracy".
In  mathematical probability-statistics, for example, whether you prefer to
divide  or to subtract numbers will literally respectively separate you into
almost  physically fighting schools (conditional probability versus  [...]
[p]robable [c]ausation/[i]nfluence.

----

Interesting, and I'll  make it a shortie here!

I see your programme has not degenerated at all,  and indeed, was reading
your amusing (in the good sense of 'amusing') discovery  upon your son
discovering that your theories had been minimized.

When  reading Malthus, I found it obtuse that he said that food grows
arithmetically  while people grow geometrically. But I thought he was proved to be
_right_. It  was an _empirical_ finding. (That's why a philosopher would defend
controlled  birth -- in an attempt to arithmetize populations, as it were; for
I'm sure it's  more difficult to geometrize food?).

In any case, I love probability  theory. Know next to zero about it. Some has
to do with Jackson and Lewis  (philosophers -- and one Mc) about
'conditional' or horseshoe operations  (whether what Grice found as the divergence between
the horseshoe and the 'if'  vernacular was a matter of something that people
who use 'if' conventionally  implicate or conversationally implicate -- all
jargon, but I recall D. S. M.  Edgington -- my tutora here -- was pleased to
follow my little tidbit on  this).

But of course mathematical probability-statistics, I hope, can  also be a
_formal_ (i.e. non empirical) science, as much as logic is. And I'm  curious how
what I call

The Geometrical School (who like to  'divide')

versus

The Arithmetical School (who like to  'substract')

(as I call _you_)

could avoid physical fight --  between the lightweights and the heavyweights,
shall I say -- not fair! --.

If it's all _formal_, i.e. non-empirical, it would be a matter of  "Charming
by Convention" (I avoid Poincare's 'True by Convention' for this  _extends_
truth in my opinion). I.e. a matter of _stipulative_ definitions that  you
either follow or don't.

It's all pretty wicked, and I wish you good  luck in showing the degeneracy
of the other paradigm!

Come to think of  it, I've heard _hundreds_ saying that "Analytic Philosophy"
has degenerated  beyond repair (and some will speak of 'post-analytic'). The
fact that this is  hist-analytic saves us to lose too much face about it --
even when you can call  me a reactionary irreverent conservative when I say I
don't think the paradigm  has degenerated _so_.

Grice saved us, in a way, by saying that Philosophy  has "Longitudinal Unity"
(never mind "latitudinal") so that what Socrates said  is still valid ('plus
or minus one change of idiom or other', he  added).

Cheers,

J. L.

net/clk;211531132;33070124;e)