[hist-analytic] Gavagai Redux

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Fri Feb 13 14:05:49 EST 2009

in memoriam J. Updike.

Further to R. B. Jones's point re: -ive vs. ist, I see under 'reduce',
defined in the OED, as "to resolve by analysis". One cite only:
    "I shall now endeavour to reduce the ripples to their  mechanical
elements (Tyndale (1860), Glac. II, p. 299).

Incidentally, I was right about Cicero! He tried to lay his hand on his
beloveds, the Stoics: You see, the stoics have talked of "proegmena kai
apoproegmena". Cicero, without delay, has that as implying a tacit 'agatha'  (neuter
plural), rendered in Latin as 'bona' (neuter plural of 'bonum') and thus  the
phrase above rendered as "producta et reducta" (bona) -- which Short/Lewis  (onli
ne Latin dictionary, OUP) have as: the  "things to be  preferred"
[pro-egmena; pro-ducta] versus those  "things to be  deferred" -- The collocation
appearing in "De Finibus",  5, 30, 90.

Browsing the Short/Lewis, I come across 'redux', which I've heard analytic
philosophers use quite a bit, so went to OED and found two boring titles: (i)
"Astraea Redux, being a poem on the happy restoration and return of His
Sacred Majesty"(Dryden), (ii) "Phineas Redux" (Trollope) -- and one not so  boring
and by the recently late author:

   "Rabbit redux" (J. UPDIKE), which I just turned  philosophical.

Reduxes are of various types. From Grice's 'Valediction', it would _seem_  as
he is objecting to some kind of 'holistic' (alla Davidson/Quine) accounts of
'meaning' -- at the same 'evidential' level than 'belief'. Indeed,
Avramides's  D. Phil -- I keep referring to it as a D. Phil for I'm surprised MIT found
it  commercial! -- has four longish chapters on 'symmetrical' versus
'asymmetrical'  views of things. She concludes Davidson wins over Grice, in that what
is  proposed is something that goes 'both' ways: from belief to meaning and
from  meaning to belief. Grice would be _unimpressed_!

Cheers,

JL

Cheers,

JL