[hist-analytic] Mind/Body Asymmetrries and Verificationism Old Style

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Fri Feb 13 16:11:56 EST 2009

(mailto:351232.90608.qm at web36508.mail.mud.yahoo.com) >

In a message dated 2/13/2009 2:00:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
baynesrb at yahoo.com writes:

>We might want
>to  say
>
>            [(a)] If I were you I would feel pain.
>
>But justifying [(a)]   will involve third and not first person
>attributions.

This  [(a)], I think S. R. Bayne has as

i. physically impossible
ii.  logical possible

("So there is a difference between attributions which  are physically
impossible, merely, and  attributions made by first person  reports that are neither
physically possible nor logically impossible. This is  the philosophically
relevant asymmetry").

I'm not sure!

Suppose I  video-tape myself as I tumble and fall on a street. I see myself
as recovering  as if feeling no pain at all. So, I say:

"If  *I*

--i.e.  J. L. Speranza --

were  _you_

-- i.e. the _past_ J. L.  Speranza
who has been video-taped tumbling and  falling --,

I would feel pain" -- but you apparently didn't. What's  _wrong_ with you!?

Fascinating subject. Subtheads:

Grice wanted to say something about priviledged access and incorrigibility
in "Method in philosophical psychology"
It's a Cambridge time-honoured thing which _reminds_ me, in the best sense
of 'remind' of Wisdom, and his "Other Minds" series!

I may be undergoing an autistic phase (in a good sense): I find it clearer
to discuss myself talking to myself ('voice of consciousness') rather than a
_friend_!

Indeed, I find much talk along the lines,

   "If I were in your shoes"

pretty ridiculous.
Both impossible logically _and_ physically!

I think R. Paul has elsewhere referred to how vacuous it sometimes sounds  to
ask yourself, "What it would feel like to be an old woman dying of cancer" --
 when you are not.

"Verificationism" Old Style -- I like that. In "Personal Identity" (in
hist-analytic), Grice indeed wonders, "The ball hit his head" vs. "The ball hit  my
head", etc. In some cases, the change of person (from first to second to
third) seems immaterial, and there's always what I call 'illeists', which the
OED define as 'those persons, usually self-important, who like to refer to
theirselves (sic) in the _third_ person!" (my wording).

This is just a flash on a flash, and to see if my 'In-Reply-To" thing  works,
too!

Cheers,

JL

steps!