[hist-analytic] "It is not a revolt, it is a revolution"

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Mon Feb 16 09:01:09 EST 2009

The Futilitarian Turn

I _do_ think Grice does use 'revolution' in "Life and Opinions of Paul
Grice" but I'd need to check. In any case, I thought there _was_ a book by  someone
called "The linguistic revolution", but apparently there isn't. I was
provoked to find more about this vis a vis our discussion of Lakatos and
paradgim-shift.

Three notes on 'revolution' in the OED may amuse:

1685 EVELYN Diary 22 May,

I chanced to pass just as execution was doing on Oates. A strange
revolution!

1837 CARLYLE Fr. Rev. V. vii. (1872) I. 174

‘Sire’, answered Liancourt, ‘it is not a revolt, it is a  revolution’.

1892 Speaker 3 Sept. 278/1

In Uruguay it is said that revolution is kept down only by the  army.

---- O. T. O. H., there's Rorty and his 'linguistic turn'. Now, re-reading
his thing, I note he is borrowing the 'coinage' (he calls it) from Gustav
Spare-me-them-English-futilitarians Bergmann, p. 177 of his 1964 book published
by University of Wisconsin Press at Madison, "Logic and Reality".

Bergmann, "the movement is futilitarian". "the futility and the
futilitarianism"

In this case, apparently not a coinage:

1827 SOUTHEY in C. C. Southey Life & Corr. V. 290
If the Utilitarians would reason and write like you, they would no longer
deserve to be called Futilitarians.

Cheers,

JL
steps!