[hist-analytic] Compiling an Anthology

steve bayne baynesrb at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 16:04:46 EST 2009

I've been thinking about putting together an anthology. Why not?
This would be on the history of analytical philosophy. When I
first started thinking about it it seemed like an easy thing to do.
But now I'm not even sure of my goals.

The most gratifying thing about Hist-Analytic has been the number
of countries served. They come from every U.N. member country,
with only a few exceptions, usually where the cite is blocked. The
system is globally viable and now with an Archive things are even
better. So I don't want to "screw up" Hist-Analytic by putting the stuff
on it in an anthology. The book would sell and Hist-Analytic would
be redundant.

I figured on two options: a comprehensive anthology or a specialized
anthology on action theory, bringing in James, Bradley, Shand, etc,
up to Davidson. But then I got to thinking about a more ambitious
anthology being more useful etc. Here there are two options, at least,
within this option. One is to include few long essays with greater
generality of content; or, second, to have many shorter essays
spanning a wider field, also. For example, on the one hand
Chpt. 2 of Word and Object would be good, but it's long. But what
about an anthology that includes short, seldom read papers.
Take "Ontological Reduction and the World of Numbers." Much
fuss has resulted from Lowenheim/Skolem in Putnam and Quine
and others. But in this little essay there is, I think, the basis for a
firm intuitive understanding of what is at issue (the "proxy function"
etc)

If anyone has any suggestions on content, length, marketability,
etc. let me know.