[hist-analytic] Analytic Philosophy Should Be *Entire*

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Tue Feb 17 07:51:08 EST 2009

Ye, budding analytic philosoher, do not let specialty  give you the myopy!
     I know analytic philosophy being _synthetic_  sounds like a
contradictio, but just in terms, not in reality!

My last today -- but listers, keep contributing! We need a detailed history
of analytic philosophy!
(And I'll impose myself a limit of 3 a day -- if no  less!)

In a message dated 2/16/2009 10:08:05 P.M. Eastern Standard  Time, bayne
writes in "Clarity is not enough" in reply to  Jones:

>am suspicioius of these
>philosophies "of": philosophy  of science; philosophy of mind;
>philosophy of art, etc.

----

A simile Grice liked to use here is one that I trust will  appeal Bayne:

"Philosophy, like virtue, is entire".

Grice is  concerned with disqualification brought by  overqualification!

"Meet Mr. Poodle -- our man in nineteeth  century  aesthetics"
or "early modern philosophy" (as the case may be)

The moment I'm  introduced to a man like that -- at a Philosophy Department
-- I know

(i)  Poodle is being underdescribed and thus maligned
(ii) Poddle is _not_ the  *good* man for the job!

One should also consider different colocations:

philosophy of language
philosophical linguistics

--- ditto Grice would not speak of 'philosophy of mind' but 'philosophical
psychology'. His point that this _is_ psychology, and that it should not be
focused on just the 'cognitive' as the word 'mind' suggests.

For 'morals' it's more difficult!

Cheers,

JL

steps!