[hist-analytic] Ground-Breaking Lectures in 20th Century Analytic Philosophy

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Thu Feb 19 11:57:02 EST 2009

In a message dated 2/18/2009 9:37:14 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
sgimbel at gettysburg.edu writes:
Brouwer's lecture at Vienna which had  significant tangible effects on
the works of at least Godel, Wittgenstein,  and Carnap -- all of whom
were likely in the room (we know Carnap and  Wittgenstein, although there
is scholarly debate about whether Godel was  present or merely got the
notes).

----

As I noted, that would  be March 28, 1928. Carnap, Feigl, Waissman,
Wittgenstein, in attendance.  Brouwer's lecture now available in English (originally
German, "Mathematik,  Wissenschaft, und Sprache") in P. M., "The foundations of
mathematics in the  1920s", Oxford University Press (compilation).

Another lecture would  be:

1951. "Truth"

-- symposium, rather, at Bristol, on 'Truth' --  Austin and Strawson
symposiasts. (1951). I never paid much attention to the fact  that it was _Bristol_,
until I heard one of those analytic philosophers talking  of "Bristol,
Revisited".

1973. "Truth"

"Bristol Revisited" was  another symposium now by Leeds-born G. J. Warnock
and C. J. F. Williams,  (Christopher John Fards W., if you must) Aristotelian
Society. -- actually  Williams was _first_ symposiast. (1973) Warnock's
contribution reprinted in his  collection _Language and Morality_: a gem in unashamed
Oxford  philosophy!

But I do not think we do have that many of those "[toponym],  Revisited"
(which must be punning on Evelyn Waugh), do we?

Also,  Bristol, we have to admit, is _picturesque_. When Ayer and Cohen did
"The Causal  Theory of Perception" (Aristotelian, 1978), it would have been
otiose to call  it, "Cambridge, Revisited", wouldn't it?

What _is_ to break the ground? -- Kasher says Grice's theory is a
breakthrough, but that's _also_ subjective, if slightly less hateful,  right?

Cheers,

JL

steps!
%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)