[hist-analytic] Clarity Is Not Enough

steve bayne baynesrb at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 20 20:01:14 EST 2009

C. D.  Broad Cambridge man, so what does he know or _can_ know  (i.e. is willing to) re: Oxford philosophy? Yes, S. R.  Bayne loves him... but ... I find his pictures painted with too,er, broad  (ouch) a brush.Grice amazingly cites him in  "Personal Identity"!

Maybe a more curious connection is that between Broad and John Wisdom. I was never a big Wisdom fan. I certainly didn't cut my teeth on Wisdom, but I did do some cutting, Broadly speaking. Wisdom (somewhat like Von Wright) was at one time very much under the influence of Broad. Broad and Grice have very different ideas about how to pursue philosophy. One thing I've always like about Broad is his incredible understanding of people like Kant and Leibniz, as well as his work on sense data. Remember he is really far removed generationally from Grice. But you know somethin'? I can't think of any reason to believe that Broad would have taken issue with Grice on 'meaning'!

Regards

STeve