[hist-analytic] RBJ's Proposal and and Hume's Fork

steve bayne baynesrb at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 28 14:05:55 EST 2009

Danny,

I can't enter a discussion on Kripke, but I was thinking of your post
and thought I'd mention one thing that I maybe should have. Part
of what concerns me in all this "rigid designator worship" is in how
we arrive at worlds in Kripke. Kripke is very explicit in contrasting
his view with Lewis' and he repeats his point that worlds are
"stipulated" not discovered. If you look at what was said about
"stipulation" around 1936 among the "positivists" and their
scientifically minded critics, e.g. Reichenbach, you will find that
stipulation is closely related to pragmatics, in particular
definition. Stipulation requires, by my lights, decision and
decision introduces mind. If you can't have "worlds" without
stipulation then you can't have them without minds. But you
just might be able to avoid having to go "model theoretic" in
dealing with many of our problems by simply accepting minds
and doing without the "worlds." To be sure they are crucial on
some accounts of counterfactuals but the we are back to
stipulation: "Suppose contrary to fact..." I don't really want to
go into this now, but you DO raise good points and I don't want
to sound dismissive.

Regards

steve