[hist-analytic] Hume's Fork

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Sun Mar 15 16:10:15 EDT 2009

I'm working on contributions by Hume to the English Language, or such. I
found this which may nicely relate to R. B. Jones's point in his monograph (in
progress*):

----

Jones:

>So, in this longer story, the history of the dichotomy
>falls  into two phases, before and after Hume. [...]
>Is this a plausible story  or a fantasy?

It is mighty plausible (as they say in the Bill-Hillies), and a guarded
thing to say, as testimonied by The Guardian itself:

"Most unbelievers in our society are Humeans;
      and one can be a Humean in this sense  without
       ever having heard of Hume.

                 The Guardian, 2 Mar 1960. 7/2
                               cited by the OED under "Humean".

--- and the good point about your story is that you do allow for people be
_against_ Hume, too, without, to quote The Guardian, ever having heard of of
Hume'.
I wonder if the same can be said of Christ?!

(*: I use the phrase as a Joyceism -- he kept referring to Finnegans Wake  as
his Work in Progress. People got so concerned about it, that a book was
published before the work was progressed at all. The title read:

        Our Exagmination Round His  Factification for Incamination of Work in
Progress.

(!))

steps! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220439616x1201372437/aol
?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID