[hist-analytic] Frrom AUNE: Analytic and A Priori

Danny Frederick danny.frederick at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Mar 18 16:11:36 EDT 2009

Hi Bruce,

I don't see why it is an objection to something being knowledge a priori
that I know it only by virtue of thinking. Isn't the definition of the a
priori something like what I can know purely by thinking (without reference
to experience)? Has anyone ever said that he can attain a priori knowledge
without thinking? Even if someone has said that, it seems to me an odd thing
to say: he would not be a representative advocate of a priori knowledge.

And once we have the truth of 'I think,' we can infer the truth of 'I
exist.' Thus the latter is also knowable a priori, since it is known purely
by deductive inference from something else knowable a priori.

Cheers.

Danny