[hist-analytic] Frrom AUNE: Analytic and A Priori

Bruce Aune aune at philos.umass.edu
Wed Mar 18 17:10:59 EDT 2009

I think you misunderstood my point about knowing that "I think" is
true.  I did not mean I know this sentence is true by thinking, as I
know "2 + 2 = 4" by thinking.  I meant that I know "I think" is true
only because I am aware of some episode of thinking that I do--
because, to put it differently, I have experience of myself
thinking.  This is what makes the knowledge a posteriori.  Of course,
if you want to classify this knowledge as a priori, you may certainly
do so; but that will be one place where our conceptions of a
posteriori and a priori diverge.

Best, Bruce