[hist-analytic] Hist-Analytic New: Amaral, E. V. Huntington, Mach, Russell, Eddington

steve bayne baynesrb at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 19 17:05:01 EDT 2009

Here are some recent additions to the Hist-Analytic database. I would
single out Pedro Amaral. His introduction to the Notre Dame Lectures
by Sellars is very much worth a careful look. The letter from Russell
is an important one on sense-data. The importance of Mach's work
needs no explanation. The piece by Eddington is, in my opinion, of
absolutely fundamental significance not only historically but for anyone
presently interested in mind and intentionality. The Huntington paper
is included because I like Huntington's work and there is a growing
demand for it. The Sellars book is available from

SPACE AND GEOMETRY (1901: Monist) by Ernst Mach

On Physiological, as Distinguished from Geometrical Space

http://www.hist-analytic.org/MachSpace.pdf

On the Psychological and Natural Development of Geometry

http://www.hist-analytic.org/MachSpace2.pdf

Space and Geometry from the Point of View of Physical Inquiry

http://www.hist-analytic.org/MachSpace3.pdf

"Independent Postulates for the "Informal" Part of Principia
Mathematica" by E. V. Huntington (Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society 1934)
http://www.hist-analytic.org/Huntington1934.pdf

Pedro Amaral's Introduction to Sellars' Notre Dame Lectures
http://www.hist-analytic.org/AmaralSellars.pdf

Letter to the Editor of Journal of Philosophy: Bertrand Russell (1915)
http://www.hist-analytic.org/Russell19152.pdf

"On the Importance of Logical Form?" Bertrand Russell (1938)
http://www.hist-analytic.org/RussellForm.pdf (1938)

Eddington's 'Two Tables' (1938) - Sir Arthur Eddington
http://www.hist-analytic.org/EddingtonNature.pdf

Steven R. Bayne
www.hist-analytic.org