[hist-analytic] Adivice on Approaching Aristotle for the First Time

steve bayne baynesrb at yahoo.com
Sat May 2 07:56:38 EDT 2009

Just a bit of free advice for those who may be approaching
Aristotle for the first time, particularly, his Metaphysics.
Bk 1, for me, what excruciatingly boring; probably because
I wasn't working on Plato's theory of forms at the time.
It is, largely, historical. It's great stuff but tedious in my
opinion.

Pay particular attention to Bk V. Re-read this thing pretty
carefully. Another thing: prepare yourself for this by doing
the Categories. The value in this will become inestimable
by the time you get to book Z of the Metaphysics. There
are good commentaries on the Categories, not the least of
which is Brentano's. Sellar's articles on Aristotle are, I think,
especially good; there are others.