[hist-analytic] Metaphysics: Grice, Carnap, Aristotle

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Mon May 11 14:22:34 EDT 2009

I wrote:

>come to think of it, I think R. Hall
[read it sometime ago -- all the books 'except the last two books' (*)

          (* An excellent  thing about the internet is that you can edit
what you
          can _come to think_  [of it]).]

In a message dated 5/11/2009 10:01:19 A.M. Eastern Daylight  Time,
rh1 at york.ac.uk writes:

>So he [Hall] got out the Iliad _Loeb
>edition conveniently, a la Speranza

Right. If we apply the  mutatis mutandis

["lit.  ‘things having been changed that have to be changed’ (1272 in a
British source)"
        I provide the OED to tease  friendly Hall since he worked with
_them_]

                 [[Incidentally, when Grice said to Austin, "I don't care
what the dictionary  says?"
                   explain why the Oxford is both _meant_ and not meant]]

        that's less of a dilemma alla  Buridan for it's

Tredennick or  Tredennick (Hobson's choice). (Hugh Tredennick who [izz]
professor of classics  at Royal Holloway College and Dean of the Faculty of
Arts at London  University)

With _Iliad_ (and sticking conveniently alla Speranza to  Loeb) there's no
Hobson's choice and I _know_ Hall is properly 'ignoring'  what he calls 'no
substitute' by, of all people, Augustus Taber Murray,  Professor of Greek at
Stanford University, who produced his Loeb edition of the  Iliad fin 1924.

           "No more  faithful translation of Homer was ever made, and
           its elegance  matched its fidelity. Homer's formulaic epithets,
           phrases, and  sentences were consistently rendered, and
           his artificial  amalgam of dialects and archaic vocabulary
           were, as was  perfectly acceptable in those days,
           reflected in  archaic English."

When the Loeb group decided to 'renew' the thing they engaged the services
of William F. Wyatt (professor of classics at Brown) --

           "The Greek  text facing a faithful and literate prose
translation by
           Murray.  William F. Wyatt brings the Loeb's Iliad up to date,
           with a  rendering that retains Murray's admirable style
           but is written  for today's readers."

i.e. that does _not_ retain Murray's 'admirable style', so admirable that
it has to be rewritten. I expect Patroclus is now 'gay'.

Anway, what we have come to! Enough to give Borges the creeps if he were
alive ("I have read Quixote in both the vernacular and in Motteaux's
translation  for Dent -- and can honestly testify that the original is not faithful
to the  translation").

**************Recession-proof vacation ideas.  Find free things to do in
the U.S.