[hist-analytic] Aristotle's Metaphysics: The Izz and the Hazz

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Mon May 18 19:02:27 EDT 2009

Another thing to consider and which I hope falls within what Grice calls
the 'shopping list' for eschatology (or metaphysics in general) seems to be a
 pet interest of his: analogical predications alla

       'milk is healthy for you'

Aristotle discusses 'healthy' at large. Right now I would not be sure what
thing IZZES healthy for Grice. I suppose it may be that a thing HAZZ
healthy,  also.

Grice considers these and other phenomena in the closing section of
"Aristotle on the multiplicity of being". Grice's examples (and surely for each
of Code's formulae we'd hope to get at least _one_ example or instantiation)
include:

     (as I recall)

         "a French teacher"

         "a French poem"

         "a French poet"

---- In the case of "French" it would seem that what IZZ French is anything
 (tode ti?) related to "France" qua country.

      "French poem" can mean, I think Grice  says:

      either (and this he calls, dangerously, one  may think, 'pragmatic' or
      'contextual' ambiguity (*)):

-- poem written in the French language
                 -- poem written by a French subject.

Or perhaps that's "French poet": "a poet who writes in the French
language", or "a poet from France".

So this would be a good application of eschatology -- There seem to be
transcategorial epithets involved, even of a harmless kind.

In the paper on Eschatology, Grice is really considering 'just' in two
senses: moral and legal!

The other day, I was watching television and someone was saying of a
_legal_ measure:

              "There's no good about it".

Which got me thinking. "Indeed!". Why should _legal_ have to do with _good_
 anyway? I would assume mutatis mutandis with 'just'. Grice is fragmenting
the  Socrates/Thrasymachus discussion (For Trasymachus, 'just' = legally
just -- what  the powerful deems just; for Socrates, 'just' morally just). It
is this debate  that leads him to 'eschatology' proper.

The Aristotle paper (in PPQ 1989) is more _abstract_ and seems to be
basically a reply to Owens, "The snares of ontology". It would seem as if for
Grice being snared (if that's the word) has some pleasures to it!

JLS

**************Recession-proof vacation ideas.  Find free things to do in
the U.S.