[hist-analytic] Davidson's Hume

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Sat May 23 21:04:39 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/23/2009 12:19:48 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
baynesrb at yahoo.com writes:
"For if events were causes,  then a true description of some event would be
'the cause of b', and, given that  such an event exists, it follows
logically that the cause of b caused b."  (Davidson in Action and Events p. 150)

----

It struck me that Davidson would use "b" rather than "a":

          'the cause of b  caused b'

so after a quick search I see he is self-quoting p. 14, where he is
considering

  1.          'a causes  b'
   2.       a = the cause of  b

-----------------------------------

3. Therefore,          the  cause of b causes b

It's natural he'd use the _past_ (cfr. Grice, "Utterer _meant_ this and
that"), for surely it's more difficult to check this things in the present.
But  I loved S. Bayne's comment to the effect that

"that events are *defined* as what can occur in the relation 'before' or
'after'".

Now (3) Davidson describes as 'analytic', which _has_ to please Hume _and_
R. B. Jones!

Cheers,

JL Speranza

**************Recession-proof vacation ideas.  Find free things to do in