[hist-analytic] Davidson's Hume

steve bayne baynesrb at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 3 09:23:45 EDT 2009

Sorry to make this brief but lots of things are "conspiring" against my time budgeting.

We have to distinguish at least three things.

1. Attributive uses of definite descriptions and referential uses. (Donnellan)

2. Rigid and non-rigid designation (Kripke)

3. Purely referential vs non purely referential designators.

Each has a history and some would argue, incorrectly in my opinion, that there was overlap.

In "Reference and Modality" Quine notes that while '9>7' is a necessary truth 'The number of planets > 7' is not a necessary truth because the number of planets is a contingent fact. The source of the problem is that 'The number of planets' is not purely referential. We find something similar in Russell's "logically proper names." Donnellan's distinction may show itself within a single world and says nothing about other possible worlds, while (as you know) rigidity is very much about "worlds." These distinctions do not require much of anything with respect to what we know. It is a semantical not an epistemological conception.

In 'The cause of e caused e' IF we take ' the cause of e' attributively' then my claim is that the sentence 'The cause of e caused e' is contingent. On the other hand if we think of the sentence as completely devoid of pragmatic elements, and here I have in mind Jerry Katz's notion of 'linguistic meaning' then the sentence is trivial, like 'I married my wife'. So it's not so much which is the right reading but what you get on different readings. One reading may come with greater statistical regularity but that is besides the point. As for ridid designation, I'm still not a faithful believer; one reason is that for Kripke other worlds are stipulated counterfactually. I think this introduces a number of problems that have to do with questions like "Can one world have more individuals than another." Worlds by counterfactual stipulation and requirements of maximally consistent sets (blah blah), etc. don't go very far with me, although I'm not equipped to
 address thses issues, at present.

Suppose someone says: "No! That is NOT a rigid designator." Show me that he's wrong. How do I do this? What all goes into it? By the way, I happened to notice some interesting connections between Brentano on these issues and opacity. But since I'm doing philosophical psychology I can't mess up my brain any worse than it is by pursuing the matter. Anyway, the cause of e might have caused something else; and something else might have caused e, other than that which did cause e. That is, basically, my point.