[hist-analytic] "I Am What I Am" (Was: Aristotle's Metaphysics)

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Mon Jun 8 20:46:10 EDT 2009

I was watching the Tony awards yesterday and  there was this clip of this
musical by J. Herman, "La cage aux folles". Never  liked it, and there's the
hit  number:

belting  out,

"I am what I am"

This is JEHOVA.

But Seriously, Aristotelically  speaking, is that otiose, too as in the
Bible?

I claim that Aristotle  possibly failed to distinguish between the
important

who/what

distinction in his categories, no,  Roger?

-----

How to formalise:

1. I am what I  am

Davidson would have it as "analytic" and thus a trifle.

But S.  R. Bayne would claim that _if_ Donnellian, then contingent, and
possibly  false.

--- I don't know.

Consider the negation

2. ~(I am  what I am)

Surely contradictory.

What bothers me is the _what_. I  hardly know _who_ I am, never mind _what_.

Anyway, R. Hall, who read it  in Greek, may help!

---- J. L. Speranza

------There's a new film  on Greece presently showing, "My life in ruins"
(!)

fingertips.