[hist-analytic] Pirotologica

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Thu Jun 11 20:49:26 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/11/2009 4:25:04 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
rbj at rbjones.com writes:
The problem then with fishy  necessity, is not
in the relativisation of necessity, but in  the
uncertainty about what constitutes the relevant
body of fishy  theory.

----

Excellent commentary. And before I go to bed, I should provide some
background which should prove amusing.

I belong to this Classics Discussion List, and a member, out of the blue,
said -- it's all publicly displayed somewhere --:

    "I'm looking for a word for the study of weasels.
     Should I say 'galeology' or 'studia  mustelina'?"

A fastidious fellow classicist -- from England -- commented:

     "galeAlogy: it's feminine in the Greek"

So I said, "This is getting a bit too much. Surely zoology should be
enough. Consider Grice on ichtyology."

And then the owner of the list replied, jocularly as usual:

         "Ichthyology not  necessary? Why not give the big
          anthropocentric jump  and say that _anthropology_
          is all you  need?"

I haven't yet replied to his incisive criticism, but it was checking with
the Grice quote that I thought: I should drop this in hist-analytic too, for
 good measure.

In any case, the remark about 'anthropology' got me thinking. Of course
there is a logical fallacy here:

      zoology    -----    ichthyology

(and Grice is not considering 'zoology' at all).

The scheme would be:

                             ichthyology

         zoology

                            anthropology

                            ornithology

                           etc.

-- Oddly, I'm a birder, and cannot think of any specific -logy I would love
 over another. I even love the archaeopteryx. It seems otiose to coin a
word for  the study of, all all beasts, weasels -- and the querier has not
specified why  he wanted it for in the first place.

I titled my post to Classics-L, "Geleologica", I think. And I similarly
shared views elsewhere on "Ichtyologica". But for my favourite, hist-analytic,
I  thought I could do better, hence the

          PIROTOLOGICA

--- In _one_ section of Grice, "Method in philosophical psychology" he
mentions, 'pirotology' -- i.e. the science of 'pirots'.

I once checked with the OED about 'pirot'. A sort of fish, it read.

But that's _not_ the meaning postulate for Grice. S. R. Chapman in her bio
of the man mentions how irritable Grice became when pressed to use a word
processor ("whose spell checker did not recognise either 'sticky wicket' or
'pirot'").

The 'pirot' Grice is thinking about -- Chapman muses and I agree -- is yet
another pun of Grice on Locke and Carnap.

In "Essay" -- in R. B. Jones's page -- there is an amusing account by Locke
 on Prince Maurice's parrot. A "very intelligent" animal. Yet, _not_ a very
 intelligent _man_ (It's in the section of "Personal Identity").

Locke describes it as "a very intelligent parrot", as I recall. (Indeed, he
 could speak languages).

O. T. O. H., Carnap uses 'pirot' in _Introduction to Semantics_  (1942)

  "Syntax is all we need. After all, pirots karulize  elatically".

-- and I would disagree, but I'll leave that for a longer day on Strawson
not giving a good account of metaphysics -- It's a fascinating topic how
metaphysics-obsessed Strawson was, although surely not in "Intro" --.

"Pirots karulise elatically" may not say much but it does.

It's like The Jabberwocky of Alice. Recall her reply,

        "Well, at least someone has done  something to something".

In this case, it is the nature of a pirot that the pirot karulises in an
elatic mode. Perhaps not the essential nature, though. It is a fact that
pirots  do karulise in an elatic fashion.

So Grice _loved_ the pirot, and in his ideal-observer theory he uses them
in "Metaphysical Transubstantiation". In "Reply to Richards", he needs to
transmogrify

           the  man             ------>       the person
        the human

I'm not sure if he uses 'pirot' in "Reply" but he does mention the
'Genitorial Project', of seeing yourself as _god_.

So, I was joking on the idea that when it comes to _pirotology_ we _are_
justified in using the -logy form. There _would_ be a kind of pirotological
necessity.

The level of generality attained here is 'metaphysical' and
'eschatological'. For we would like to say that some generalities that apply to  us as
_humans_ do not apply to us as _persons_ or vice versa.

And thanks for the thoughts.

   ps. I'm just *fascinated* by R. B. Jones's post on 'Vacuity'.  I felt
bad burdening him -- such a nice pdf document, and to see that he has  updated
to include the 5 odd syllogisms by Sir Peter moves me! I too loved his
reply to S. Bayne. Indeed R. B. Jones has grasped Sir Peter's metaphysics
perfectly. Surely there may be a reason to posit, say, 'truth-value gaps'  --
that's the ticket -- but I loved R. B. Jones when in such a Gricean  unashamed
fashion, goes on, "But there are possibly more consistent reasons to
affirm that presuppositions are vacuous and that presupposition-free statements
are _false_" (or words to that effect, I recite from memory as they say!) --
my  bible here has been Grice, "Presupposition (as) [&] Conversational
Implicature", in WOW -- a blatant way of a tutor to criticise his tutee for
'metaphysical excrescences' like truth-value gaps and that!

fingertips.