[hist-analytic] "The Shopping List": Grice on Ascombe

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Wed Jun 24 09:12:52 EDT 2009

Speranza,

You make some interesting points on direction of fit. Searle has had
some, rather, interesting things to say on this. Performance errors
as opposed to errors in belief are, certainly, are key ideas. But the
idea of fitting may be less general in some instances. Consider a
class of cases which I think, so far, have gone unnoticed.

Suppose we distinguish 'descipta' and 'descriptions', saying that, say,
'heavy' is a description and an elephant might be a descriptum.
The elephant MAY "fall under" the description 'heavy'; but since
a feather is not heavy, we might want to say that whether something
is correctly said to be heavy depends on the descriptum: "It was
heavy for a feather, but not heavy for an elephant." Here there is
"direction of fit" in some sense where the direction runs from
descriptum to description; the description's applicability is
relative to the descriptum. But now take another case.

Davidson says that an action is intentional relative to a
description. There is no natural class of intentional acts;
what counts as such an act is, then, relative to a description.
The "direction" of fit is just the opposite of the first case; in
THIS case the direction of fit runs from description to descriptum.
Now whether "direction" of fit is a desirable locution may be
debated, but there is a "direction" to each of these two sorts
of dependency.

So my claim is this: "direction of fit" applies to descriptions and
not, merely, speech acts, etc.