[hist-analytic] Deliberation and Grammar

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Fri Jul 10 19:31:03 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/10/2009  aune at philos.umass.edu writes: "Steve says, "I
cannot utter ‘x’ with the  intention of saying ‘y’ unless ‘y’  is a
sentence and..."  But surely  I can utter "Bonjour" with the intention of saying
"Hello" even though "Bonjour"  is not a sentence. Am I missing something?".

I'll get back to Steve (in a friendly way!) at a later  stage; and Steve:
don't feel my response or comment on B. Aune should direct  your reply!
   I would generalise indeed B. Aune's point to the totally  meaningless.
(Grice, "Pirots karulise elatically" -- Cfr. ii. "Elatically pirots  karulise
karulise pirots pirots karulise"
Suppose that ii _is_ meaningless. I can still utter that meaning to say
"karulise elatically pirots karulise elatically" (another string of  nonsense).
   I have discussed elsewhere this with S. R. Bayne and I recall  my quote
of Lombard/Stine, "Grice's Intentions". Philosophical Studies -- which  we
discussed at length. So, I would think that there is a way to narrow Bayne's
point to 'that'-clauses, as follows:
    I wouldn't be able, by uttering 'x' -- by uttering which  I would mean
that my addressee is the cream in my coffee' -- with the intention  of
saying (or implicating) that my addressee is my pride and joy -- unless I  mean
something (in the sense of 'mean-that') with 'x' in the first place?   JLS
(I'm trying to give a synopsis here restricted to one 'screen'!)

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221323031x1201367232/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=
JulystepsfooterNO62)