[hist-analytic] Deliberation and Grammar

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Fri Jul 10 20:21:20 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: Jlsperanza at aol.com
To: hist-analytic at simplelists.co.uk
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2009 4:31:03 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: Deliberation and Grammar

I can still utter that meaning to say
"karulise elatically pirots karulise elatically"

You can utter sounds some of which resemble morphemes, but you can't
*say* anything. Even the finest mind has nothing to say in uttering
'karulise elatically pirots karlize elatically'. So the quoted sentence above is false.

In a message dated 7/10/2009 aune at philos.umass.edu writes: "Steve says, "I
cannot utter ‘x’ with the intention of saying ‘y’ unless ‘y’ is a
sentence and..." But surely I can utter "Bonjour" with the intention of saying
"Hello" even though "Bonjour" is not a sentence. Am I missing something?".

I'll get back to Steve (in a friendly way!) at a later stage; and Steve:
don't feel my response or comment on B. Aune should direct your reply!
I would generalise indeed B. Aune's point to the totally meaningless.
(Grice, "Pirots karulise elatically" -- Cfr. ii. "Elatically pirots karulise
karulise pirots pirots karulise"
Suppose that ii _is_ meaningless. I can still utter that meaning to say
"karulise elatically pirots karulise elatically" (another string of nonsense).
I have discussed elsewhere this with S. R. Bayne and I recall my quote
of Lombard/Stine, "Grice's Intentions". Philosophical Studies -- which we
discussed at length. So, I would think that there is a way to narrow Bayne's
point to 'that'-clauses, as follows:
I wouldn't be able, by uttering 'x' -- by uttering which I would mean
that my addressee is the cream in my coffee' -- with the intention of
saying (or implicating) that my addressee is my pride and joy -- unless I mean
something (in the sense of 'mean-that') with 'x' in the first place? JLS
(I'm trying to give a synopsis here restricted to one 'screen'!)

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221323031x1201367232/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=
JulystepsfooterNO62)