[hist-analytic] Philosophical Grounds of Rationality: Intentions, Categories, Ends

steve bayne baynesrb at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 10 21:10:27 EDT 2009

Much to my regret, I can't comment on a lot of this. I need to get
together all the citations and allusion in Grice to Anscombe. Time
is closing in and I have to copyright the thing and start the index.

I will comment on one thing: Chapman's comment. The more I look
at this the more respect I have for Grice. I was shocked to notice that
his paper "Meaning" is stated to have been published in SOME form
in 1947! According to the contents of WoW. I'd like to read the
original. One thing strikes me about Grice, as far as his historical
significance is concerned. Braithwaite had powerful arguments
suggesting that teleological explanation at best, so to speak,
where it is benign occurs in intentional context. This is in
_Scientific Explanation_, the section on causality.

Consider reading intentions like getting someone to believe that a
speaker intends something might be a sort of causation in the
sense befitting some valid "teleological" explanation. But here is
what is interesting w.r.t. the Grice connection. A lot of philosophers,
e.g., Joel Feinberg, think in terms of two kinds of causal judgments:
productive and explanatory. Now it seems to me that Grice's
integration of causation and intention (compare the issue cause
vs. reason) lends itself to a third category, one which is neither
a matter of production or explanation. This is not as precise as
I should be, since the two categories are meant to apply to
judgments. In other words we have a category of causation,
causing beliefs about intentions which concerns not judgments
but action. I might be reading to much into it, but meaning is
a sort of institutional fact, at least in part. I avoid discussing
internalism etc. because it will lead to an uninteresting dead
end. But meaning as cause (cfi Russell/Ducasse/Davidson is
with intent is a very neat idea, one that for 1947 is somewhat
astonishing.