[hist-analytic] Deliberation and Grammar

Danny Frederick danny.frederick at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Jul 11 07:00:48 EDT 2009

Hi Steve,

Suppose someone is brought up in a community that speaks an extensional
language but he wants to start talking about propositions, concepts,
propositional attitudes and such like. Does he not intend to say things that
his grammar does not permit?

And can we not imagine ourselves to be in a similar situation. Someone may
come up with a new idea that cannot be expressed using our present
grammatical constructions, so he intends to say what our grammar does not
permit. And could he not make himself understood, by metaphors initially, no
doubt, so that we all come to extend our grammar in new ways?

Danny