[hist-analytic] Intending, Choosing, and Deciding

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Sat Jul 11 11:05:10 EDT 2009

-- the Grice/Pears Collaborations

Grice/Thomson,  Grice/Pears

A brief historical note. When Grice recalls his philosophical
collaborations in "Reply to Richards" ('Life and Opinions of Paul Grice') he  first and
foremost cites Strawson -- where the actual collaboration is  _visible_: "In
defense of a dogma". He goes on to mention collaboration with  Judy Baker
in 'ethics': (again visible: "Davidson on weakness of the will" -- in
Vermazen/Hintikka) and a few interesting less known  pairs:

Grice/Warnock  work on philosophy of perception. Warnock, b.  1923.
Indeed, this fascinated Grice and Warnock, things like 'visa',  etc.

Grice/Staal -- work on logic

and here's the interesting (to  me) quote vis a vis the history of the
philosophy of action:

"work in the  philosophy of action"

Grice/Thompson (which I have been so far unable to  locate -- this is J. F.
Thompson,
of Christ  Church, Oxford, and later of MIT -- husband to Judith Jarvis)

Grice/Pears  --
This motivated me to look for and find Pears, Problems  in the philosophy
of mind, London:  Duckworth.
---

It is in connection with Pears --  that the 'deliberation and grammar'
thing may interact. Unlike 'intending',  Pears, (and Grice/Pears) was interested
in

"deciding"

which I find it's like 'deliberating' with a  vengeance.

In the "Unpubications" of Grice, Grandy/Warner cite lectures  on "Trying"
given by Grice at Princeton which I always thought had the right  title to
them. Harman should have attended them. That was early  1960s.

---

Pears is credited in "Intention and Uncertainty" by  Grice (very last
page), and inded Pears went on to lecture at the British  Academy (or was it
before that) on "Deciding".

Pears has written  extensively on "Intention and Belief" and other
paradoxes of 'irrationality',  and I can't read Pears without thinking Grice! (to
the Mill).

And I'm NOT  very familiar with the Hampshire/Hart CERTAINTY theory of
decision that Grice is  apparently trying to 'water-down'.

The Grice/Pears discussions fall within the context of Austin, "Ifs and
Cans" and similar work undertaken by people like Nowell-Smith on 'choosing'.

Seeing that deliberate is cognate with libra, scale, I think that
Nowell-Smith was possibly right when he says that 'choice' pre-dates decision  (if
not intention). All very tricky! -- but fascinating.

And I'm glad Bayne is using 'philosophical psychology' in the subtitle to
his book. This is the phrase preferred by Grice too. Why he found
'philosophy of  mind' too pompous we can only guess (and rightly!). -- All I know is
that if you  say, 'philosophical psychology' to _STICH_ he feels offended but
that's _his_  problem! :) (He says 'psychology' can only be EMPIRICAL --
cfr. 'philosophical  linguistics' -- but he's at Rutgers, right? :-))

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221823300x1201398714/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=
JulystepsfooterNO62)