[hist-analytic] Deliberation and Grammar

steve bayne baynesrb at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 12 09:00:50 EDT 2009

In my original posting on this, the idea was that I cannot utter something
which is ungrammatical with the intention of saying something that would
be expressed by a grammatical sentence.

You mention the idea of speaking an extentional language. I'm not sure,
exactly, what you have in mind, but the constructive point you raise, if
I've understood you correctly, raises the question of whether intensionality
is a necessary condition of intentionality. I don't think it is, but that is
because I believe there are mental verbs which are extensional. In fact,
I believe that the most fundamental mental relation, attention (broadly
construed), is not intensional!

Apologies to JLS at this point for not getting to his posts first, but since
you contribute less frequently, I think he'll understand.

Hey, by the way, do any of you guys remember a fellow named Cornman.
He was a student of Sellars and dies prematurely, I believe. He was a
fascinating fellow, and a VERY hard worker.

Nice to hear from you Danny.

Regards

STeve