[hist-analytic] Deliberation and Grammar

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Sun Jul 12 12:47:59 EDT 2009

This is something I haven't thought out as carefully as I hope to.
In addition to the Anscombe book I have about 250 more pages
of a book I'm doing on the history of the theory of action where
I will be dealing in the later chapters with contemporary matters,
such as those related to mental causation and causation by
entrainment. But let me touch on what you've mentioned here
since it is, I think,an important move with respect to this second
perhaps overly ambitious project.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "pseudo-deliberations":
I think I have some idea but I'm going to remain cautious and
say something that may not address your question.

Uttering is like a sequence of "basic actions" (in the sense of
Danto et al). It is not to be described in terms of acoustics, but
rather "articulatory gestures." (Liberman/Mattingly phonetics).
These gestures are like basic actions in fulfilling an intention.
Now move to Aristotle, briefly. One can think of a practical
syllogism as relating a want and a choice (a desire and an
intention). The "logic" is what relates them. Similarly, deliberation
as to what to utter begins with wanting to *say* something (convey
a thought); that is an utterance follows deliberation as to *how* to
say what want to express the thought; something like basic
actions following deliberation about how to achieve a goal.
Now if the goal of utterance is like the goal (I use 'goal' in a
familiar way) of a basic action, then constraints on the
possibility of action constrain deliberating about what to do,
since, as Aristotle noted, we deliberate only on those things
within our power.

Just as physical possibility limits our intentions; since these
are choices and we arrive at these by deliberation, our intentions
are limited by physical possibility. Grammar is like physical
reality: some things are possible, other are not. So grammar
constrains our linguistic intentions just as what is possible
constrains our non-linguistic intentions: physics as the "grammar"
of the universe, so to speak. My intrigue is over this similarity.
Recall my comment on Feinberg? Some intentions are
concerns about doings; some of my linguistic intentions are
concerns about explanations; but there is a third category, one
I think, Grice may have identified. Here intentions are concerned
with doings but not making things happen in any obvious way.
Instead intentions are linguistic having to to with "evocations" such
as the belief that I uttered such and such with the intention that
my audience know....etc. This is not a making; it is bringing into
being a belief by means of language. But the rules are like
productions etc. in that the deliberation leading up consummation
of the linguistic act is circumscribed by *conventions*. What Popper
might have called "institutional facts." Much more to be said here.
I haven't thought it all through. It occurred to me a week or so
ago. It may be a "wind egg."