[hist-analytic] Hypercategorial

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Mon Jul 13 11:29:24 EDT 2009

I would add the 'hypercategorial' (Grice
'supercategorial'/trans-categorial' epithets, WoW, xix) and 'metacategorial' (as  per, I see, 'metacategorial
grammar')

Grice and Strawson were _obsessed_ with the so Ariskantian notion of
'category': the "C" in "P.G.R.I.C.E": philosophical grounds of rationality:
intentions, categories, ends.

I prefer 'hypercategorial' to Grice's supracategorial in that it seems less
 of a hybrid?
----

I wonder what D. Frederick thinks of all this!

(In that WoW essay, Grice explicitly compares hypercategories with metaphor
 and analogy -- that Danny was mentioning vis a vis 'conceptual schemes'
alla  Davidson).

The theta thing sounds VERY interesting.

In a message dated 7/13/2009 9:29:08 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,