[hist-analytic] Anscombe cited by Grice -- twice

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Tue Jul 14 14:37:31 EDT 2009

We see the first cite (well, Grice 1971) is a  terse footnote, "By
Professor Anscombe" relating to some 'vivid' example which  Grice says _might_ have
been pursued by Anscombe.

The second, which I had  read, but forgotten, is not much of a muchness or
nothing to write home about,  but then I'm writing hist-analytic (just
joking). In fact, as I type this, I ask  S. Bayne forebearance if that's the
word. He (Bayne) may find the quote even  offensive. But on the merits of the
hist. of anal. philosphy, I add  it.

It is on p. 42 of Chapman's book -- I had read it _a couple of times_  --.
She is discussing the chapter on 'post-war' Oxford (her book is
chronological). She writes, and I'll check the end-note before I post  this:

"Many years later [than the 1940s --  JLS],
when Grice was thinking back to the  days
of the Play Group, he jotted down a  list
of Oxford philosophers of the time.  Interestingly,
he divides his list into _three_  categories:

'yes' (Austin, Grice, Hampshire,  Strawson, Warnock ...)

'no' (Anscombe, Dummett,  Murdoch ...

and

'overage' (Ryle, Hardie  ...)"   (p. 42)

[CITATION DETAIL:

"Notes for Ox Phil 1948-1970,  APA,
H. P. Grice Papers, BANC MSS 09/135c, the
Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley."

-- I wrote  marginally for the 'overage': Wood, Cox, Mabbott
for the 'yes' I  added Urmson, Pears, Thomson, Hare.

I realise this is in rather bad taste  -- to supply a 'no' on a list
promoted by an author who is engaged in a bio of  Anscombe --, so take it lightly!

Why would he write 'no'?
Of course,  it's jocular: Dummett, for example, Grice does quote,
extensively in "Indicative  Conditionals" for what I refer. And Murdoch I think
collaborated to the "The  Nature of Metaphycis" that Grice also collaborated.

--- In any case, a  sort of erratum for Chapman -- is that Anscombe, while
cited in her book
(p.  42) is not credited in the name-index.

Things like these make you wonder  about unpublicatons; I mean, they are
lovely -- but surely to be taken with a  pinch of salt and morality. It's not
like Grice cites Anscombe _TWICE_: it's  ONCE in "Intention and Uncertainty"
(p. 8).

This second 'cite' is  frivolous and not meant for publication --. In any
case, it is a pointer. I  recall when researching for Grice I would list
loads of books with the comment:  "Grice not cited", "Grice not listed", "no
mention of Grice". This sounded  _positive_ to me!

So ditto, the fact that he has ""no" (Anscombe)"  should prove of some
interest.

---- I was also reading that indeed in  those days 'women' were not
accepted in (some) colleges, so there was no way  Anscombe could have joined, I
would think, the Play Group. In fact Mrs. Grice  and his daughter confided in
Chapman that THEY felt pretty much outsiders when  not allowed at St. John's
(Grice's collage) even for refreshment on 'open days'  or something like
that. :(.

Cheers,

J. L.  Speranza

Steps!