[hist-analytic] Omission and Action

Ron Barnette rbarnett at valdosta.edu
Tue Jul 28 17:04:19 EDT 2009

Steve,

I'm glad to learn that you address omissions in the book, as they constitute
a very special class---one might argue class of actions---in which something
intentional is definitely undertaken..say, my deliberately remaining
steadfast, perfectly still and silent during an intense cross-examination.
My refusal to answer a question would correctly be construed as something I
did intentionally, yet without overt bodily movement. So are there actions
that do not involve bodily movements? Interesting implications with either
'yes' or 'no,' no?

Good work, Steve.Btw, this brought to mind many discussions on this very
topic I had in the late 60's with dear Abe Melden who (you know) served
faithfully on my dissertation committee.

Ron Barnette

  _____