[hist-analytic] Omission and Action

steve bayne baynesrb at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 28 18:58:09 EDT 2009

The cross examination case is good because it shows that the condition I mention may be necessary but is not sufficient for omission: The witness refuses to testify, had he testified it would have been an intentional act; but it is not an omission on his part but a refusal, suggesting that refusal and omission might belong to a larger class.

I didn't omit calling the mayor's office because I never had that intention. This is another interesting case. As if to imply that had I called since it would have had to be intentional to be an omission and inasmuch as I had no such intention I, therefore did not "omit" calling the mayor.

I have a short section devoted to Melden. Melden was far more thought provoking form me than Hampshiire, although other of Hampshire's works I find very good.