[hist-analytic] Omission and Action

Danny Frederick danny.frederick at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Jul 29 03:07:35 EDT 2009

Hi Steve,

Do we need to distinguish intentional, unintentional and non-intentional
omissions? I omit to do many things because I just forget to do them (like
popping into the shop on the way home): I omit them unintentionally. I omit
to do many more things because it just never occurs to me to do them (like
performing a song-and-dance routine while I am waiting for a bus): I omit
them non-intentionally. But some things I omit to do intentionally (like
omitting to talk in the cross examination). Perhaps: intentional omissions
are those that I try to omit; unintentional and non-intentional ones are
those that I do not try to omit. Unintentional omissions seem to  be ones
that conflict with our intentions or plans, whereas non-intentional ones
don't. Just a first stab.

Danny

  _____