[hist-analytic] Analytic Philosophy: The Latitude and The Longitude

jlsperanza at aol.com jlsperanza at aol.com
Wed Aug 5 13:12:59 EDT 2009

   ¨The problem with you is that you confuse longitude with latitude"
              Tweedledee to Tweedledum

Historiography of Analytic Philosophy

I agree with S. Bayne that Carnap can be one of the most metaphysica
authors of all time! Especially, I read his writings which make
Heidegger´s plunges into metaphysics a mere word play!

How to Carnap: some simpler ways

I forget how the philosophical lexicon defines a carnap. But this
reminds me of Grice´s longitudinal and latitudinal unity of philosophy.
And who´s a Carnap, other than Carnap? Other than Hume, does he credit
a philosopher in the past whose views he feels like expanding
(longitudinal unity). Grice was very provocative in this. He seems to
have realised, when retiring -- the PGRICE thing was a festschrift --
that philosophers won´t do unless they can see theirselves (sic) in the
grand chain of being of an activity that started with Thales. He notes
that the study of the longitudinal unity is an enrichment when focusing
on the ´greats´ (who while dead, should be treated as ´live´ with a bit
of an idiomatic change here and there). On the other hand, there are
what he called ´minor´ figures. Nobody would have objected to his
having listed Wollaston in the list, or Bosanquet (although I love this
Balliol logic historian) -- but as M. Platts noted in his Mind review
of the festschrift, t
he fact that Grice goes on to include Witters
among the minors was _meant_ to provoke. On the other hand, I think it
was E. Gosse who said, I love a minor poet -- such as Housman: big
poets are, er, too big. JL Speranza