[hist-analytic] Analytic Philosophy: Oxonian Varieties

Bruce Aune aune at philos.umass.edu
Mon Aug 10 08:02:36 EDT 2009

I never knew McKeon, though I saw him at Western Division APA meetings
in the early 60's.  I heard a lot about him, however, from people at
Minnesota, who were very critical of him.  I can imagine Carnap not
wanting to approve a thesis on an argument that the thesis-writer
could not competently evaluate.  When I was a student of Carnap's and,
indeed, throughout my teaching career, I was a strong advocate of
making the history of philosophy a large component of philosophical
education.  I can still see its relevance to serious philosophical
work, but I now regret that I spent so much time on it.  I would have
been better served, I think, if I had spent more time on mathematics
and physics.  In spite of this. I continue to spend an inordinate
amount of time translating  Plato's Greek!

Bruce