[hist-analytic] The "Analytic A Posteriori"

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Wed Sep 2 08:55:00 EDT 2009

No Bruce, I'm not "confused." I think you have failed to follow the argument, carefully. I deliberately avoided need to talk of rigid designators, whence the Barcan formula. My point concerned the statement 'Nec(a=b)' and its epistemic status regardless of whether the identity sign is flanked by rigid designators. Even if the designators are not rigid 'Nec(a=b)' follows from first order logic by substitution of predicates. Rigidity is not a requirment.

Again, I may know 'a=b' by experience, but I do NOT know 'Nec(a=b)' by experience. So how DO I know? You said it yourself "then the only way 'N(a=b)' can be known is by inference from 'a=b'." Note: "by inference." Bruce, inference is not experience! 'N(a=b)' is not an empirical statement; 'a=b' IS an empirical statement. 'Tom is tall' is an empirical statement; 'Tom is tall or Tom is not Tall' is not an emprical statement, even though I may infer it from 'Tom is tall'.

There is a tendency to say "well I know p, say, by experience; logic adds nothing, so 'Np" must be known by experience." But that is precisely what I am challenging I don't believe it. Give me an argument and I'd be very happy to see it before I commit to print; but repeating the ideas I'm challlenging is not an argument.

Knowing that p is necessary is not to *know* merely that p. Two very different things. But I'm open to considering any argument that knowledge by inference is knowledge by experience.