[hist-analytic] Metaphysical Positivism v. Critical Rationalism (Jones v. Frederick)

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Fri Sep 18 07:50:46 EDT 2009

I'm just finishing the section on the 'private language argument' and its significance to the theory of action. So I can't comment on the details of your page, although I took a good look. However, I thought that in view of the fact that the topic is rationalism, of a sort, you might be amused by the following quote.

"It may be regarded, afdter a fashion, as a modern fulfillment of Descartes' quest for an absolutely certain basis of science; and indeed Carnap's theory is reminiscent of Descartes' rationalism in more wayst than one.
Reichenbach ("Linguistic Empiricism in Germany and the Present State of the Problems" in JP. xxxiii, no. 6. March 1936, p.149."

There was no one who displayed more logical or mathematical rigour at philosophy than Reichenbach. No one supported Reichenbach more strongly than Reichenbach. In fact, Carnap had to modify some of his views owing to Reichenbach just as he had to modify his views in light of Neurath's criticisms regarding "protocol" sentences.

Just thought you might be amused: Carnap and Descartes; two peas in a pod? So much for Hume!