[hist-analytic] Reichenbach, Carnap, Positivism

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Sat Sep 26 11:55:56 EDT 2009

"As soon as you attempt to describe the sense data you will
introduce the possibility of error,"

So I can be in error in describing them, say thinking the hen sense datum has five instead of its in fact four speckles? How about being in error in believing there is a datum? If you can have one sort of error, why not the existential?

"(this is like the skeptics "appearances appear")"

Some would hold, following Plato in the Sophist, that there are no appearances because there is no reality; there is just the way we describe our experiences; "reality" need not apply.

There are a number of places where you, rightly, point out I haven't said enough; but these posts as you can see are very long. I think you should take a look at some of this stuff, time permitting.

"I am generally not in favour of resort to talk about probability
as a remedy for uncertainty, or the various other similar
stratagems (such as confirmation theory)."

Some deny there IS truth, only that there are degrees of likelihood of being true; or something close to this.

A cynical comment on my part on Hume: If Hume is right, there are a few conventions having to do with arithemetic or vacuous tautologies at best, and then there is the psychology of belief. There is no real need for philosophy, unless we think of it as a way of describing psychological facts of experience. An overstatement? Just a little, perhaps.

> This will effect
> the logic of science. Truth values will be infinite between 0 and 1. There
> won't be two truth values. Much of this was supported by the Heisenberg
> business.

I think this is a bad idea.

Cmon Roger. First you say I don't say enough and then on an idea that prevails from Reichebach to Zedeh you say its a bad idea. I think it is a pretty darn good one, especially if it allows us to exit the domination of trivial problems raised by the Tarskians.

What I mean by a "theory of ontology" is a theory as to how to answer the question "What is there?" in the sense that epistemology answers the question: "How do I know?" (in a broad sense of 'how', including what is knowledge etc

In the Aufbau, Carnap is pretty much a phenomenalist. I think you are relying too much on Schilpp, but I may be wrong.

By the two language approach, I mean Carnap's reliance on the protocol language on the one hand and the language of science on the other.

I can't answer your "I don't understand" questions. I need to know what exactly I say that you don't understand. You quote a long paragraph. I am reluctant to write another one of greater length for fear of not being undestood. I need more specificity.

If mathematics is a bunch of tautologies and explanations are of the sort Carnap accepts (the sort of thing Hempel had in mind, i.e. deductive nomological explanations etc) then the question is what is the basis for thinking these empty sentences relate to the world? Reichenbach's answer is that this is owing to their use in making predictions. Otherwise they say nothing of value. I'm not sure what you mean by a possible world. I never been to one.

"Someone is surely a materialist only if he asserts that only matter exists,"

Yes, and a physicalist who believes what is physical is material is a physicalist just the same, and conversely a materialist who believes that matter is physical is a materialist just the same. No problem here. Language has little to do with it.

A language containing theoretical terms is "reducible" through operational definition to the physicalist language, so physical language and theoretical language differ only in the descriptive constants being in the one case terms that refer to unobservables. So there is no difference in languages, especially once the protocol language, via Neurath, is reduced to a physical language.

I missed a couple of questions. They would require new books to anwer thoroughly and I'm still trying to read the old ones.