[hist-analytic] Reichenbach, Carnap, Positivism

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Mon Sep 28 20:57:11 EDT 2009

Steve,

Thanks for these very interesting remarks. It's nice to hear a new voice. Allow me just a few brief comments of a general or exegetical nature. Let's start with Part 1. You say,

"While Reichenbach and Carnap are both interested in rational reconstruction of scientific theories, what this reconstruction consists of differs importantly between them. Reichenbach is much more interested in theory change,"

I don't see much textual evidence for Reichenbach having an interest in theory change, as such, except for considering the epistemological implications of moving from a Kantian to an Einsteinian view of space-time. Theory change, since Kuhn, has been quite the rage, but in Reichenbach's case I don't see it. I do, however, restrict myself to The Philosophy of Space and Time and The Theory of Relativity and A Priori Knowledge, and I think it's pretty clear that there is no discussion of this in his Experience and Prediction. You might be able to argue that there was an implicit historical agenda here, but that would require more evidence than has been forthcoming. So I'd have to see a couple of passages, preferably from one or more of these works to be convinced.

Also, where do you see him make an effort to "show the development in terms of axiomatics," to take one example. On another matter, you remark,

"analysis that differs from Kant in that the synthetic a priori propositions are constitutive, but not apodictic."

Now I can find a lot of almost vicious comments on the synthetic apriori in his works, not to mention his letters to Russell housed at McMaster, so I have trouble figuring out how he might be regarded as offering synthetic a priori as "constitutive, but not apodictic." Now I think I understand why the "constitutive, but not apodictic" but in what way would he consider this "synthetic a priori "? Again, I've have to see some textual basis. I'm not that strongly opposed but it cuts against the grain of much of what I believe he has said etc.

Part II

I don't disagree with much here. For example, I think talk of truth as a throwback to Kant can be understood the way you have it. It requires a bit of finesse but I think it can be done as you say.

Your remarks relating to Flavia Padovani are very interesting and well worth pursuing; give a bit of time to give this a look.

Best wishes