[hist-analytic] Hector Neri Castaneda and Guatemalan analytic philosophy of language

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Mon Oct 5 18:47:28 EDT 2009

In a message dated 10/5/2009 2:29:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Baynesr at comcast.net writes:

for  incoming students of S. American origins Hector-Neri Castaneda was a
model of  taking the initiative and was a colorful interesting guy with the
power to  inspire.

-----

Good, but recall the brain drain. How good is it that a Guatemalan, or
Nicaraguan or whatever, philosopher, makes it to the North (North of the Rio
Grande, of course) and forgets his roots?

How much of his influence is felt in GUATEMALA?

As an Argentine, I get the feeling. I distinguish between two types of
Argentine analytic philosophers:

   1. Myself

   2. Others

I'll start with others. They lack originality! Just joking! But seriously,
it's good to compare myself with others. Consider my interest in Grice.
"Yankees  go home", I was told, ignoring that Grice was from Harborne, in
Warwickshire.  Okay, 'gringo' by South of the Rio Grande standards!

My mentors I regard as OTHERS. Take Rabossi. He was Argentine educated (as
a lawyer!), then became student of Strawson at, of all places, Duke. He
failed  (Rabossi did) to get his DPhil Oxon, but that's life.

Or consider Marcelo Sabates, a student of Rabossi. He got his first degree
from the Univ of Buenos Aires, and his PhD under Wang at Brown. Does he
qualify  (Sabates), as an Argentine philosopher? I find, and not out of envy,
that those  philosophers -- of Argentine origin -- who get their 'maximal
degree' in a  furrin institution should NOT count as Argies!

(It is as if Gaugin, the painter, had graduated from the Slade!)

Or consider Rodrigo Pereyra (author of a book with OUP). Fresh with his
first degree from the hills of Cordoba, where he hails from, he gets a Brit
Council sponsored stay in Cambridge (under Mellor) and becomes an "Anglo"
philosopher.

I'm less sure about Castaneda. Maximal degrees is what count.

My friend Larry Tapper says, "Maximal degrees are granted by St. Peter,
upon entering Heaven, so what are you talking about?"

I'm talking about agnosticism, that's what I'm talking about

J. L. Speranza
   Argentine Society for Philosophical Analysis
    Calle Bulnes, Buenos Aires.