[hist-analytic] Kripke and the Meter Stick

Bruce Aune aune at philos.umass.edu
Wed Oct 14 11:13:59 EDT 2009

I have to leave my house in a few minutes to complete a necessary
task, so I can't respond at length today to Steve's remarks about
Kripke and the meter stick.  But I would like to sat to Steve, why
didn't you consider the argument I actually gave, the argument by
Kripke that I set forth clearly in way in two paragraphs?  The
argument I gave is clearly deductively valid; the thing to attend to
if one is going to criticize it is whether one of the premises is
false or doubtful.  But Steve, somehow getting Wittgenstein involved
in the discussion, didn't address the argument I outlined, or Kripke
originally gave.

Steve's reference to Wittgensein is very curious.  Not only was Kripke
not responding to Wittgenstein, but the passage Steve cites as
containing Witt's argument does not even contain an argument about the
standard meter.  Witt says dogmatically that the standard meter is not
a meter long, but he has nothing to say--certainly no argument to
present--regarding the identity Kripke and I were concerned with.
Steve's remarks did not, in fact, concern the identity statement that
K and I were concerned with in our respective arguments.  He was
concerned with an argument we did not defend.

Bruce