[hist-analytic] Show-Down At Truth-Value Gap

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Thu Oct 15 18:28:37 EDT 2009

I think is the title of an essay by Horn, he told me, echoing a westerner,
and Witters, we know, loved them.

In a message dated 10/15/2009 9:26:40 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Baynesr at comcast.net writes:

But Witt  was dogmatic in making this claim; he offered no argument  to
support this bizarre assertion: he simply affirmed that the language-game  we
play with "meter" does not allow either affirmation (that it is or that it
is not).

----

In a way, it parallels my "Paying Paul to Rob Peter".

In the polemic Strawson/Grice, Strawson was (they are both dead now so we
can safely use the past tense) adamant in assuming truth-value gaps.

Grice was confused and somewhat infuriated with that. "The king of France
is not bald" is true, for Grice, with no king of France in view. For
Strawson,  it was truth-value gappy.

Ditto, "The meter stick is one meter long" would be a perfectly true thing
for me to say. But perhaps Grice's and my language games are easier to play
than  Witters's and Strawson's.