[hist-analytic] "If" and "If ..., Then ..."

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Fri Oct 16 22:23:33 EDT 2009

I do not want to intrude in the interesting Bayne/Aune commentary, but it
may do to express my reaction upon reading Grice, "Indicative Conditionals",
 WoW. Way of Words.

He says, rather stipulatively, that

     "if p, q"

gets the horseshoe.

The addition of the 'inferrability' particle, "then", notably does NOT get
the horseshoe.

----

I would think the point may do in the Romance Languages. The 'if' particle
if just the 'si' of Latin, 'se' of Italian, 'si' of French and Spanish.

"si p, q"

the addition of 'then' may be a trick. In some Spanish-language logic
textbooks, it gets translated as "entonces",

   "si p, entonces q"

--- but it's never a phrase I heard a neighbour say!

I would think the French equivalent may be the 'donc', but you bet.

Now, as R. Grandy knows -- see his contribution to "Legacy of Grice" for
the Berkeley Linguistics Society, it was Strawson who mainly Grice is
thinking  of. Strawson held that there is a parallel between ASSERTED inferences

    ____

    therefore, q

and

unasserted inferences

    if p, q

    if p, then q

Now, for some reason, the 'therefore' gets translated in Spanish-language
textbooks as "por consiguiente", o "luego", which is NOT again something I
ever  heard any of my neighbours utter. In Latin it would be 'ergo', but
Russell/Whitehead POSTdates Latin!

-----

So the best way is indeed to deal, as Bayne does, with Philonian (versus
Chrysippan?) implication, and consider the horseshoe (whatever its linguistic
 realisation) as purely truth-functional.

Grice seems to be saying that the addition of the "then" makes for MORE
than a truth-functional operator.

Uttering "if" clauses without the 'then' re-inforcer is to Grice no breach
to the 'paradoxes' of material implication, which are all true.

Oddly, this PHILO is NOT the Philo, apparently, that occupies a few volumes
 in my beloved Loeb Classical Library. It is, as it were, a minor Philo.

When I was reviewing articles for Margarita Costa for the Bulletin of the
Institute of Philosophy (in that wonderful building of the University of
Bueos  Aires in 25 de mayo Street in downtown Buenos Aires) I recall coming
across what  I then (and still now) thought a jewel:

    J. F. Thomson, "In defense of the material  conditional"

--- this was a posthumous lecture by Thomson, dated 1966 (I think) and
poshumously published by Mrs. Thompson (Judith Jarvies). Thompson, who
collaborated with Grice on this and that, holds very similar tenets.

Strawson's reply on the other hand had been doing the rounds since 1968,
and was finally published by Grandy/Warner, in the PGRICE festschrift.
(Strawson  has also reprinted it in his Entity and Identity, for the Clarendon
Press).

In this paper, Strawson 'recollects' Grice's distinction between

          conventionally  implies

          non-conventionally  implies

This, _NOT_ in the sense referred to by Bayne in the segment below. Rather,
 in terms of 'implicature'. For Grice (and recall he is basically
criticising  Strawson's vademecum, Introduction to logical theory, 1952),

      by uttering "if p, q", the utterer  NON-CONVENTIONALLY (i.e.
conversationally) implies (or 'implicates' as he  prefers) that
              there is an inferrability link between p and q.  This is
cancellable, for  example, in the paradoxes of material implication.

For Strawson, rather, and this seems to be Grandy's point in the Legacy of
Grice symposium

     by uttering "if p, q", the utterer CONVENTIONALLY  implies such
inferrability link.

I recall a class on conditionals (held on Saturday mornings no less) by D.
S. M. Edgington. She, oddly, had never seen the Strawson paper till I
showed it  to her (The meetings were in a rather derelict, if that's the word,
section of  Buenos Aires, where the Argentine Society for Philosophical
Analysis was holding  those seminars). Edgington had come fresh from Oxford to
teach the natives that  neither Grice nor Strawson nor Russell nor C. I. Lewis
were RIGHT. "If p, q" has  NO truth-conditions!

If anything, her seminar served me to systematise all the theories
involved, and with the help of some Jackson and D. K. Lewis, to arrive at a
neo-Griceanism of sort which still holds the 'identity' thesis between, yes, the
'if p, q' and the horseshoe.

But a horse says nay.

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza"

In a message dated 10/16/2009 1:48:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,