[hist-analytic] Aune, Kripke 'S' and meta-statements of identity

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Sun Oct 18 10:39:43 EDT 2009

Bruce,

"Stick S is one meter long at t0" ?

Try spelling out 'S' and see what happens. This is either an open sentence or

'S' stands for some thing. Whatever the case may be, try filling out this 'S'

and see what happens. THEN we will have something. Second point.

Kripke distinguishes three thesis (NN p. 4). I will discuss two, one in particular.

The first is that identical objects are necessarily identical; the second is that true

identity statements between rigid designators are necessary. Note how they differ

according to Kripke.

The first is not, but the second is, metalinguistic. So if we have it that 'a=b' then

''Nec(a=b)' is true'. The sentence is about a sentence, whence it's being

"metalinguistic." Kripke, further, maintains - against those who maintain

that two people can have the same name disproves the rigidity thesis -

that requiring that each name have one object in not "a major oversimplification."

He, then, goes on to discuss at greater length cases where the same name

refers to different objects. But as I see it this is not what he should be concerned

with so much.

What he should be concerned with, I think, is that an object in this world may have

two names - and here is where I begin my suggestion that his uniqueness requirement

is an oversimplification which side steps issues concerning rigidity. The reason I say

this is in view of the following situation.

One object has two names, 'a' and 'b' say'; both are rigid designators.

Now it turns out that a and b are found to be identical. Both names are rigid; that is,

they designate the same thing in all possible worlds in which they designate at all.

Fine. But suppose in one world 'a' doesn't name at all. Now remember we are talking

about the second thesis, the one that is metalinguistic. Now if 'a' doesn't designate

then in the world where it doesn't we cannot assert ''a=b' is true'. Why? There is no

'a', or 'a' doesn't designate at all. In this case, we can't say that the sentence 'a=b'

is true in all possible worlds. We CAN say that a and b are identical in all possible

worlds, but not ''a=b' is true' in all possible worlds. Now I don't know why he doesn't

raise this example; it is far more challenging than the ambiguity (?) of 'Aristotle'. There

may be an easy way around this; but I don't see it.

Regards Regards

STeve

 -----